Back to
Normandy American Cemetery Welcome Screen

356th Fighter Group

Activated on December 12, 1942, the 356thmoved to England with its three P-47 Thunderbolt-equipped squadrons, the 359th, 360th, and 361st, in August and September 1943. Assigned to the Eighth Air Force, the group served in combat from October 1943 through May 1945. It participated in operations preparing for the invasion of Europe, and supported landings in Normandy and the Allied drive across France into Germany. The group converted from P-47s to P-51 Mustangs in November 1944. From October 1943 until January 1944 it escorted bombers attacking industrial areas, V-weapon sites, airfields, and communications. After January 1944, it engaged primarily in bombing and strafing missions. Targets included U-boat installations, barges, shipyards, airdromes, hangars, marshalling yards, locomotives, trucks, oil facilities, flak towers, and radar stations.

A P-51D Mustang, 361st Fighter Squadron, 356th Fighter Group - based out of Martlesham Heath, England. c. 1944-45.
"Wild Bill" Crump, 360th FS, 356th FG and his dog Jeep pose next to his P-47 Razorback. Martlesham Heath, England. c. 1943-1945.

The 356threceived the Distinguished Unit Citation for effective bombing and strafing that neutralized enemy gun emplacements in support of the airborne attack on Holland during September 1944. It flew its last combat mission, escorting B-17s dropping information operations leaflets, on May 7, 1945. The 356thFighter Group returned to the United States in November and inactivated on November 10.

Pilots of the 360th FS, 356th FG taken at RAF Martlesham Heath Airfield, Ipswich, England, 1944.
Martlesham Tower. 356th Fighter Group base in Suffolk, England from October 1943 to November 1945.

Campaigns: Air Offensive, Europe; Normandy; Northern France; Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe

Related Content