Activated on December 1, 1942 and equipped with B-26 Marauders, the 387thdeployed to England in June 1943. It served with the Eighth Air Force initially, and then with the Ninth Air Force beginning in October. Constituent units included the 556th, 557th, 558thand 559thBomber Squadrons. The 387thentered combat in August, concentrating on enemy airdromes during its first several months. It bombed V-weapon sites in France during the winter of 1943 to 1944, and hit airfields at Leeuwarden and Venlo during the “Big Week” intensive campaign (February 20-25) against the German Air Force and aircraft industry. The 387thprepared for the invasion of Normandy by attacking coastal batteries and bridges in France, and during the Normandy campaign supported ground forces by attacking railroads, bridges, road junctions and fuel dumps.
The group moved to France in July, and participated in the breakthrough at St. Lo and the reduction of Brest. The 387thearned a Distinguished Unit Citation during the Battle of the Bulge, when it struck strongly defended transportation and communications targets at Mayen and Prum. The 387thsupported the final Allied drive into Germany by attacking bridges, communications centers, marshalling yards, and storage installations. It flew its last missions in April 1945. The 387threturned to the United States in November and inactivated on November 17.
Campaigns: Air Offensive, Europe; Normandy; Northern France; Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe