Activated on June 15, 1942 and equipped with the B-17 Flying Fortress, the constituent 334th, 335th, 336th, and 412thbombardment squadrons of the 95thBombardment Group moved to England in March 1943. Assigned to Eighth Air Force, the group flew its first mission on May 13, bombing an airfield at Saint-Omer. During the next two months the group attacked V-weapon sites and airfields in France. It began bombing strategic objectives in Germany in July. Targets included harbors, marshalling yards and industrial facilities. The 95th received a Distinguished Unit Citation (DUC) for fighting its way through fierce resistance from enemy fighters to bomb an aircraft assembly plant at Regensburg on August 17. It earned a second DUC on October 10, again withstanding concentrated fighter attacks and intense antiaircraft fire when bombing marshalling yards at Munster.
The 95thparticipated in the “Big Week” bombing campaign (February 20-25, 1944) against the German aircraft industry, and earned a third DUC during an attack on Berlin on March 4. In this attack the 95thfought its way through dense clouds and severe fighter resistance to strike its target. The group struck coastal defenses and communications during the invasion of Normandy in June, and hit troop concentrations during the breakthrough at St. Lo in July. The 95thdropped ammunition, food, and medical supplies to Polish troops in Warsaw on September 18, attacked enemy transportation targets during the Battle of the Bulge from December 1944 to January 1945, and bombed airdromes in support of the Allied assault across the Rhine in March 1945. The 95th flew its last combat mission, an attack on marshalling yards at Oranienburg , on April 20, and dropped food to the Dutch during the first week in May. After V-E Day, the group transported liberated prisoners and displaced persons from Austria to France and England. The 95th Bombardment Group returned to the United States between June and August 1945 and inactivated on August 28.
Campaigns: Air Offensive, Europe; Normandy; Northern France; Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe