Activated on June 15, 1942, and equipped with the B-17 Flying Fortress, the constituent 311th, 312th, 313th, and 410thbombardment squadrons of the 94thBombardment Group moved to England in April 1943. Assigned to Eighth Air Force, the group flew its first mission on June 13, bombing an airdrome at Saint-Omer. The group then attacked such strategic objectives as the port of Saint-Nazaire, shipyards at Kiel, an aircraft component parts factory at Kassel, a synthetic rubber plant at Hanover, a chemical factory at Ludwigshafen, marshalling yards at Frankfurt, oil facilities at Merseburg, and ball bearing works at Eberhausen.
The 94thwithstood repeated assaults by enemy interceptors while bombing an aircraft factory near Regensburg on August 17, and received a Distinguished Unit Citation (DUC) for this mission. Braving adverse weather, heavy flak, and attacks from interceptors, the group forced home an attack against an aircraft parts factory in Brunswick on January 11, 1944, and received a second DUC. The 94th flew in the “Big Week” bombing campaign (February 20-25) against the enemy aircraft industry. Prior to D-Day the 94th neutralized V-weapon sites, airdromes, and other installations along the coast of France, and on D-Day bombed enemy positions in the battle area. It bombed troops and gun batteries to support the breakthrough at St. Lo in July and the siege of Brest in August. The 94th supported the airborne attacks into Holland in September and attacked marshalling yards, airfields, and strong points during the Battle of the Bulge from December 1944 to January 1945. The group bombed transportation, communications, and oil targets during the final push across Germany, and after V-E Day dropped leaflets to displaced persons and German civilians. The 94th Bombardment Group returned to the United States in December 1945 and inactivated on December 21.
Campaigns: Air Offensive, Europe ; Normandy; Northern France; Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe