Pointe Du Hoc Monument
Led by Able Company, the 2nd Ranger Battalion marches on the Esplanade in Dorset, England, to embarkation area on June 1, 1944.
Col James E Rudder at command post Pointe du Hoc, D+2.
Aboard their LCA, Charlie Company of 2nd Ranger Battalion prepares to shuttle to the HMS Prince Charles to Pointe du Hoc.
Located on a cliff 12 kilometers west of the Normandy American Cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach is Pointe Du Hoc. This 30-acre battle-scarred area on the right flank of Omaha Beach remains much as the Rangers left it on June 8, 1944.
The Pointe Du Hoc Ranger Monument dedicated to those American Second Ranger Battalion soldiers who fought under the command of Lt. Col. James E. Rudder during the battle for Pointe Du Hoc.
This site includes a monument erected by France to honor the 2ndRanger Battalion. Under the command of Lt. Col. James E. Rudder the battalion scaled the 100-foot cliff, seized its objective and, at high cost, defended it successfully against determined German counterattacks.
Pointe Du Hoc, Normandy 1944
Col. James Rudder's Command Post, Pointe du Hoc, June 1944.
2nd Ranger Battalion helmet marking a fallen Ranger after the Battle of the Pointe du Hoc. June 1944.
The monument consists of a simple granite pylon atop a concrete bunker with inscriptions in French and English on tablets at its base. The Ranger Monument was officially turned over to the American Battle Monuments Commission on January 11, 1979 for care and maintenance in perpetuity.
The English inscription commemorating the 2nd Rangers who took possession of the Pointe Du Hoc. The inscription flanks the granite pylon at the base of the monument.
View from the Pointe du Hoc Monument of Omaha Beach where the 29th and 1st Infantry Division fought against unexpectedly strong defenses.