The 89th Division, National Army, was established at Camp Funston, Kan. on August 5, 1917. The demographics of the division’s original personnel, and its HQ location in Kansas, earned the 89th the nickname the “Middle West Division.” The insignia chosen for the division reflected its nickname—an olive drab disc bordered in black, with a black letter “W” in the middle.
On September 12, 1918 the Allies launched the St. Mihiel Offensive to reduce a strong German salient (a salient being an area that projects into the enemy’s defensive line), cut German communications, and secure Allied flanks for future offensives. During the offensive the 89th Division participated in the capture of the Bois de Mort-Ware, Bouillonville, Euvezin, Beney, and Xames. During the Meuse-Argonne Offensive (September 26, 1918 - November 11, 1918) soldiers of the 89th Division captured the fiercely contested Bois de Bantheville, took the heights of Barricourt, and crossed the Meuse River to occupy the high ground to its north on November 10, 1918.
Constituent Units of the 89th Division
177th Infantry Brigade
178th Infantry Brigade
164th Field Artillery Brigade