The 88th Division, National Army, was established at Camp Dodge, Iowa on August 5, 1917. Initial draftees assigned to the division came from Illinois (9,366), Iowa (12,749), Minnesota (17,778), and North Dakota (5,272). To highlight the four states that formed the core of the division, the insignia chosen was a royal blue four-leaf clover—one leaf for each state. From May to July 1918 draftees from Missouri, Nebraska, and South Dakota brought the division up to strength.
All elements of the division were on French soil by September 7, 1918. Most of the 88thDivision’s service in the Great War was spent in training. Many essential supplies were diverted to troops fighting in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. On September 23, 1918 the division assumed responsibility for the Center Sector, Haute-Alsace.
German storm troopers made frequent raids on the 88th’s lines, and the 88thretaliated with punishing combat patrols. An epidemic of Spanish Influenza hit the division hard as the fighting waned. Soldiers wearing the blue cloverleaf insignia arrived back in the United States at Newport News, Va. on June 1, 1919.
Constituent Units of the 88thDivision
163rdField Artillery Brigade