To honor their New England origins, the 26thDivision—a National Guard Division—adopted the nickname the “Yankee Division.” This division formed at Camp Greene, N.C. on August 5, 1917. After receiving 900 additional men from the 76thDivision, the 26thDivision sailed for Europe starting on September 20, 1917. Once in France, the “Yankee Division” continued training alongside the French Army. The infantry regiments moved to the training area at Neufchâteau, where they remained until February 1918.
The 26th Division resided at the Châtilion training area from August 16 to 25, 1918 before moving to the Rupt and Troyon sector north of St. Mihiel. They attacked from September 12 to 16, 1918 in the St. Mihiel Offensive, and pushed the enemy out of St. Remy, Dommartin, and Cöte de Muse. The division eventually reached Hattonchatel and Vigneulles.
The 26th Division entered the Meuse-Argonne Offensive on October 19, 1918 when they relieved the French 18th Infantry Division. As part of the 17th French Army Corps, the “Yankee Division” advanced the line by one kilometer on October 23, 1918 and continued attacking until they reached Belleau Bois on October 27, 1918. On November 6, 1918 the division joined the 2nd French Colonial Corps, with whom they advanced almost two kilometers on November 1918. When the Armistice ended hostilities on November 1918 the 26th Division had successfully extended the line from Ville-devant-Chaumont to Les Fosses.
Constituent Units of the 26th Division
51stField Artillery Brigade