The 4thDivision, Regular Army (formed under the U.S. Army), was organized December 16, 1917 in Camp Greene, N.C It was composed of soldiers from across the country. In February the division’s numbers increased with a surge of volunteers, and in March it rose to authorized strength with the assignment of selective service men. On May 23, 1918 the transport ship Moldaviawas torpedoed and 56 soldiers from the Fourth’s 58thInfantry Regiment were killed.
The 4th Division participated in the offensive to clear the St. Mihiel Salient (a salient being an area that projects into the enemy’s defensive line) from September 12 - 16, 1918. In this offensive they occupied the extreme left flank and attacked the west face of the salient. After success at St. Mihiel, the division redeployed west to prepare for the war’s final offensive, the Meuse-Argonne.
On the night of September 25, 1918 the 4th Division moved into the line of battle for the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. They continuously fought on the front line from that point until October 19, 1918. During this period troops of the 4th attacked and captured strongly held positions at the Bois de Brieulles, the Bois du Fays, the Bois de Malaumont, the Bois de Peutde-Faux, and the Bois de Foret. The division was relieved on October 19, 1918. On November 3, 1918 it began preparations to re-enter the offensive in an attack on the Lorraine front, but Armistice halted further action.
Constituent Units of the 4thDivision
4thField Artillery Brigade